Friday, March 25, 2011

Language Immersion!

     This past weekend was Language Immersion week!  The nine different language groups set off to their regions to either stay with a volunteer or at a hotel.  Our group was lucky enough to stay with wicked-awesome Becky, one of our PCVTs.  At first the idea didn’t seem as appealing as a hotel, but we quickly learned that it was welcoming, chill and so very informative of a PC service.  Several groups took buses, as their trips were anywhere from 4 1/2 to 8 hours; our group, being only three hours out, took taxis both ways.  I am now with-it when it comes to using taxis. 
    On our way there, we rode into Jinja and ate at a restaurant that offered pizza and Indian cuisine!  It was my first Indian dish in Uganda, and I was so very excited!  Jinja is nice, and much less congested than Kampala (the city that I have not yet fully explored, as I was sick the day of the tour).  Dan noticed that we were all carrying our backpacks on the front, and mentioned in the nicest way, “Pick-pocketing here is much more rare than in Kampala,” HINT HINT--you can wear your backpacks normally.  Dan was such a great guide, and seemed to either run into friends, or make friends along the way.  He had us laughing all the time.  After our lunch in Jinja, I finally bought a PHONE!  It was over half of my weekly allowance, but I figured that since we were staying with Becky and not having to eat out every night, I would definitely save on food.  From Jinja, we took a taxi to Namatumba, where Kisiki College (really a secondary school) is.  The main gate is right off the tarmac, where Becky was waiting for us.  We had a quick tour of the teacher guest housing, then we went out to explore the market place.  We weren’t equipped just yet to go out and buy things (we hadn’t yet learned numbers in the thousands) and our dinner was in the making.  While walking through town, we kept waving to children as we would in the states; however, in Uganda, if you make the opening and closing motion with your hand, palm facing out, it signals “come here.”  We were puzzled as to why we had at one point (I counted, in Lusoga) 28 children following us, much like a parade.  When we returned to the teacher’s house, Dan reminded us about the gesture, well after we had paraded near 30 kids through town.  The whole time, we were gesturing for them to “come here!”  After that, we learned to wave open-palm left and right, like washing a windshield.
    The rest of the week was a mixture of activities.  We had structured language lessons each morning from one of the older classrooms, then we were off to shop or relax.  Our first day in the market, we were preparing for an American-Mexican spread, including salsa, guacamole and tortillas.  My task was to buy rice.  I tried to greet as much as I could, which would make most of the market place people just light up.
    “Osiibye o’tyeo nyabo?”
    “Ahhh! Bulungi!  Yogera Lusoga!  Ossibye o’tyeo?”
    “Bulungi!  Webale emiri moo.”
    “Kale, weena webale.”
    “Kale.  Kodey’eyo?”
    “Baliyo!”
    Then, I attempted to find rice.  I went to a seller, and asked if he had rice.
    “Olina omutyere?”
    He didn’t, but he pointed in a general direction.  I went next door, where people were eating rice.  “Olina omutyere?”
    “Yes we have rice,” a man answered.  He took me in and I noticed that everyone was eating rice.
    “Oh, I don’t want cooked rice--do you have uncooked rice to buy?”
    “Ok, we have.”  I was sort of confused.  I was standing in a very tiny room, in the middle of about seven adults eating rice, who were all staring at me, not knowing what to make of me. 
    “Musiibye mutey’eyo!”  I tried.
    They reacted in “ayy!”s, all very surprised, all smiles.  It’s a wonder what greetings can do.  I turned to find a woman holding out a bowl of cooked rice for me.     
    “Gah!  I’m sorry, I need uncooked rice.  Webale!  I’m going to find uncooked rice!”  I don’t know if they understood, and I hope they didn’t find me terribly rude, but I just backed on out and waved goodbye.  I did find uncooked rice, and I managed to pay the going price (without getting the mzungu price). 
    Many of our market trips were like this, finding the items, greeting and negotiating in Lusoga.  We always could get everything we need, and splitting up shopping tasks worked well.
    One day, while the group was sitting around playing cards and relaxing, Becky extended an invitation that had come from the Boy Scouts.  “They are inviting us to go plant trees with them.”  How fun!  Although I wasn’t anywhere near dressed to be a successful agriculturist, I joined on in.  Most of our tree-planting experience was more of a photo shoot with the boys.  They all new very well how to plant trees successfully, and looked quite handsome doing it, in their sharp uniforms!  I was trying my hardest to practice Lusoga with the boys.  A common question Ugandans ask is, "How are you finding Uganda?"  I answered that I love it, love the weather, love the place.  I then attempted to say that I sunbathe (in Lusoga) and it came out more like "I bathe in the sun," like...naked, in open air.  THAT got a laugh.  There is one phrase you don't say to a group of teenage boys.   
    On Tuesday evening, during a rousing game of Lusoga charades, Nick stopped by.  Nick is a CHED volunteer in our region.  We started talking with him at around 4:00, cooked with him and stayed up talking until about 11:30 PM.  He was blown away, because at his very rural site, he would have been in bed for two hours at least by then.  He told us about his service, other volunteers in the region, the dynamics of his volunteer group and about the towns (Iganga, Jina).
     Coming back, we got to see the source of the Nile in Jinja.  It's always amazing to see a natural landmark like that, and it's crazy to think that river, that starts from there, stretches through all the way  to Egypt.  There were several pretty crafts on the way down to the river, but none that I could afford.  With my remaining bit of shillings, I managed to get some g-nuts to bring back for my family.  I wished I could've brought back more!
     After talking to our whole group today, it sounds like we all had similar, fun experiences.  Some groups even saw elephants and hippos on the drive up!  The regions all sound geographically different, which is very interesting.  I can't wait to find out my site!  With my improved Lusoga and bargaining skills, I'm ready for my PC service!    
  

No comments:

Post a Comment