I’ve had a pretty hectic month, but don’t worry, I have a big blog coming up. Until then, I want to share an adorable tidbit from my ride into Kampala.
I was on the Jinja-Kampala coaster, in the back, with a mother of what seemed like six young children. I’m also fairly certain that the mother was a teacher, because she seemed patient and educated. You could tell they were Kampala kids, because they didn’t bat a lash when I sat down, and ignored me the entire trip. When the kids started singing songs from school, she would chime in and help them with words. The kids were chatting the whole way, pointing out things and naming them in English. It was adorable. “A pine tree! The river!” When we reached the edge of Kampala city, there were many shops. Some of the older kids were saying words in English, like shop, sell, buy, and shopkeeper. The older ones were then trying to get their younger brother to say some of the words, and even quizzing him on the spelling.
“Spell the word ‘cow’”
“C-O-W, the word is ‘cow’”
“Spell the word ‘car’”
“C-A-R, the word is ‘car’”
(Get ready and say the next part out loud to yourself...)
“Say the word ‘shopkeeper’”
The boy struggled a bit, tried as hard as he could, and proudly said, “shock peeper!”
I tried my darndest, but I couldn’t help but laugh. The kids and the mom were laughing too, and the little boy just smiled and asked his mom in Luganda, “wait, what was it?”
She said, slowly and clearly, “shoP keePer,” emphasizing the ‘p’ sound.
“Shock--shock peeper.”
His brothers were in stitches.
Anywho, there’s that for now. Pictures and stories to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment