This week, I get the fabulous experience of being the "Tutor on Duty." The TOD's job requires him/her to enforce rules, monitor preps/free time, make sure programs are running smoothly, organize communal work, give permission to those leaving the college, making sure students are getting fed, night checks, etc. etc. At the Jinja PTC, tutors do this duty, but most often they put in as little effort as needed. You don't see many TODs walking through dorms, or even coming everyday. That's why I'm taking on the position with gusto; instead of being seen as the disciplinarian for the week, I'm going to use tactics of reinforcement for good behavior. Here is a list of identified problems from our last staff meeting, and how I'm going to target those things this week:
1) Students delay to come back promptly from lunch at 2:00.
Intervention: Random classroom checks, roll call and awarding those present with candies
2) Students lack research skills/reading culture
Intervention: Trivia questions will be posted daily. Theme: America (because of independence day). Prizes will be awarded to the winners at the end of the week.
3) Students' appearance deteriorates as the day goes on. They sleep in class.
Intervention: This week, tutors will vote on "model students," ones who stay in the dress code all day long, are polite, and participate actively in class
4) Students' dormitories are disgusting/disorganized.
Intervention: A banner will go to the cleanest dorm of the week. Daily checks.
5) Students need to be reminded to clean their classrooms.
Intervention: A banner will go to the "best learning environment," encouraging students to clean their classrooms and classroom tutors to make learning aids for classes.
Additionally, students are always confused as to who the TOD is, as it changes each week. Even though there are lists of the TODs posted all over college, students are still clueless. I'm wearing a crown this week that says Tutor on Duty so there is no confusion. I've never been more excited to wake up at 5:30 AM as I am for tomorrow. WISH ME LUCK! :D
Good Luck Mary ;)
ReplyDelete