Today was probably the most exciting day I’ve had in my eight years on this Earth. Or perhaps a close second to cousin Robinah’s introduction ceremony. Nevertheless, this day was pretty exciting.
Of course it didn’t start very exciting, in fact, when I woke up I was pretty certain today was going to be very much like yesterday, and the day before that, and every day before that up to the first day of term. Madam was having us memorize the school address so that our letter-writing looks professional. All I remember is something, something, something, Molo Primary School, something, something, Tororo. I suppose today didn’t start exactly like yesterday, cause baby Ryan had an attack of diarrhea RIGHT before I left for school. I was bathed and dressed in my pressed, bright-pink uniform, all shiny from the Movit jelly and smelling nice, and the plop--Ryan spewed out matter, shall I say, from his back-end and I had to take an extra ten minutes cleaning both him and the floor, and then my hands, thoroughly, with soap. “Remember the four F’s! Flies, fingers, feces, food!” I made sure to scrub away all of those invisible, nasty germs and headed to school.
“Today is Tuesday, February twelfth, two-thousand thirteen.” We repeated this about a hundred times, or until Oketch in the back decided to join in and stop speaking in a frog voice. It wasn’t until we were doing some math exercises that I noticed Madam was preoccupied. She left the room, making sure to remind us to stay in our seats and be quiet. What happened next made that command nearly impossible.
Hope claims that she sat near the clinic for a while at break time, watching them discuss things under a tree. She said they had notebooks and folders, and were raising their hands. Hope’s English is terrible, so of course she couldn’t pick anything they were talking about. Too bad I hadn’t found them at break time, I bet I could have deciphered their conversation.
We didn’t see them for the rest of the day-- they left before classes were over. We did see that they had dug on part of our primary school compound. I don’t know what they were doing exactly, because what they did looked nothing like how the gardens around us look. It looked more like six fresh graves of some very, very tall people. There was also a hole at one corner that would probably swallow me waist-deep if I were to stand in it. Hope was saying that she would bet her daddy’s three cows that the visitors wouldn’t come back tomorrow. She said she’s seen this before (from back when she lived in Maga Maga) that visitors would come, do a project, and then never say hello or goodbye and never come back. I disagree. I think they’ll come back and teach us something! Or at least tell us who they buried.
Dear Journal,
I was right! The visitors came back! Today they all looked very smart, they were all wearing white t-shirts. I read USAID on the backs. It took me a while to figure out what that meant. “U-SAID...you said? You said what? That can’t be it... USA - ID...OH! They’re from the US! Ok...what is ID? Hm.... US-AID....US, like United States, then AID like...aid? Money? Money from the US? That could be it. Or maybe ID means something.” On the front of their shirts, it said “FEED THE FUTURE”. Hm--I know our head teacher is always telling us that we children are the future...are they coming to feed us?! What do Americans eat anyway? I decided that wasn’t it, because they went into the community center’s shed to get the hoes and slashers. They must be back to dig again!
Right around break time, we found them in the garden (it was a garden after all, not graves) bending and planting seeds. I wonder what they’re planting? It’s such a funny looking garden. I think I’ll ask my mom tonight why they dug their garden like that. We don’t know what happened after break time, but Oketch says he saw them shoveling cow dung into a pile, then laying grass and ash on top. However, Oketch also claims that night dancers come to his house every night, and wake up him and his baby sister. He even said that he went outside once, and they had faces of animals. So, I don’t know if I can believe Oketch.
When we came out after classes, we saw that they had constructed a strange thing. How can I describe it? It almost looks like a house, but the roof is made from dirt, and it would be a house for a very small person. Oh, and you can’t go inside, because the bricks go all the way around and it’s full of soil. But, in the center, there’s a hole lined with sticks. I hope Madam explains to us what our visitors built, and if it is a house because I would love to play in it!
At the end of the day, after some rain, the Mzungu’s t-shirts were filthy. How did they get so dirty and the Ugandans didn’t? For the last time today, the mzungus went into the church to have tea or something. We heard the health team singing for them, and teaching them about those four F’s as well. I sang along as I walked home, thinking about all the fantastic things I get to tell my mom. I asked Hope what her daddy was going to do without those three cows. “Well, whatever. I bet you three more they won’t come back tomorrow!” Maybe not. But I think they’re leaving those gardens behind!
No comments:
Post a Comment