It was an ordinary trip to Maggie’s site, who lived 45 minutes away by taxi (30 minutes on a good day). We were sitting four in the front row of the back, as per usual, despite the seat being designed for three. I almost nodded off at how uneventful the whole journey was. That is, until we reached the Musita stage.
This particular stop is notorious for over zealous food hawkers who, if you refuse to buy their goods, will berate you until the taxi takes off. Musita is also popular for being a bit of a changeover point for taxis who suddenly decide, “Oh, we’re not going all the way to Busia, so you’re now moving into this taxi.” Luckily, most taxis are en route for Iganga, so I knew I wouldn’t have to move.
Our conductor got out, fishing for passengers to fill the one seat that could possibly fit another being in the vehicle. What happened next was kind of a blur, so I don’t know the exact order of events. All I know is that a man was walking by our taxi, readying himself to board the taxi in front of us, which was also going to Iganga. Our conductor was anxious at the prospect of losing a customer, and started trying to coerce him into our taxi. The conductor from the other taxi quickly inserted himself between our guy and the innocent traveller, which pissed our conductor off. He picked up the other conductor and moved him out of the way (which is usually a playful-type gesture, and I’ve seen similar instances from other conductors). Interestingly enough, the other conductor did not see it that way. He half slapped him on the arm, and I imagine started cursing at him. Our conductor put his dukes up immediately. Everyone in our taxi saw that this was serious, and they reacted with “Eh, eh!” Out of the Earth, it seemed, materialized about 180 Ugandan men, either egging the fighters on or trying to talk them down. I don’t know who threw the first punch, but I heard flesh hit flesh, and then the swarm of men tried to intervene.
At some point, one of the two fighters lost a bunch of change out of his pocket, which caused pure jubilation from the crowd as they dove for the coins. My heart was racing, and lectures from our safety and security officer streamed through my head...what do I do? Stay away from fights and large crowds, walk in the other direction...but I was in a vehicle, and no one else in the vehicle was leaving, and I was afraid if I got out that he would go after me next (probably not but I was terrified and thinking irrationally). The fight seemed to linger on, so I slowly moved one foot out of the door, and my butt nearly scooted off the seat, when our conductor jumped back into his seat next to me. His right eye was starting to puff and he kept blotting away tears. I couldn’t understand the conversation, but it seemed like he was defending himself against the opinions of the passengers in the taxi. The rest of the trip was thankfully uneventful, and I gave him an extra five hundred shillings, for his rough day.
Haha oh Musita. Did I ever tell you about the time I got into a little "spat" with a taxi conductor at Musita? It is such a rowdy place!
ReplyDeleteI tried, but there really aren't words for the roller coaster of emotions that happen at the Musita stage.
ReplyDelete